Orienteering Websites:

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Organize is fun, get injured is not!

The last few weeks were quit a ride for me. After Canadian Orienteering Championship, I was really busy with organizing two last TOC Wednesday Night trainings. My first WNT was in Earl Bales Park (right map) where I set the same course as I had on Summer Training Camp http://vimeo.com/15346460 There were lots of positive feedback and few families came back next week again!

My second and last 2010 TOC WNT was in Taylor Creek East. I presented a new updated map, which included some new parts that were never used for orienteering before. The main course included middle (left) and sprint (2d map). On both trainings I had 35+ participants. After the training, TOC had a pizza party, and I was happy to see more than 10 juniors there. Some of them represented TOC at Ontario Orienteering Championship in Hamilton.

All my next week I spent for organizing Turkey Trot event.
Review of this event by Robbie Anderson (a winner of $100 main prize): http://teamcanadaorienteering.blogspot.com/2010/10/turkey-trot-2010.html I, personally, did not have a chance to control this event on Sunday because I got injured day before during course setting. I had spent 2 hours in hospital, where I got 5 stitches on my left low leg (little bit under the knee).

I did not run for a week. On eight day, I went for 20 min run and felt very sore next day. After one more practice, I felt discomfort; so, I took stitches out by myself.

And in a day, I was racing Ontario Orienteering Championship in Hamilton. My first race was World Ranking Event- Sprint. I did my best and finished 6th. Such a result could be a lack of energy or even a fear to get injured again, but I can say for sure there was lots of climbing.

I skipped Middle course and ran Long on Sunday. I finished 6th again with few minutes behind third place or 1st Ontario. After the race, I saw that I lost 3 min on the first CP, which was a long leg. I lost on speed and small mistake in the middle of the leg. The rest of the course was really clean. Results and maps are here:
http://dontgetlost.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=221&Itemid=263
In the end of the day, my coach and I are happy with my results. Hamilton area is phenomenal orienteering terrain and with this year new map, it is truly a gold reservoir for Canadian Orienteering. I am sure that we will see lots of great juniors and elites coming out from Hamilton (GHO club) in a few years.

PS: I got great news that my comments for COC long were posted on North America Orienteering newspaper :) Super happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment