Orienteering Websites:

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The toughest "Raid the Hammer" so far

Map#1:
The event started with 3 mass-starts 2min in between and only one runner from the team. I started first because I had to go to the farther CPs (B and E). There was a small delay on busses, so I did not have time to warm up, but still managed to punch both CPs first. On CP#1 (meeting CP) I was waiting for Nikolay Rybkov (6th place in Toronto Marathon 2010 - 2.37.28), who came 1-2 min after me, and Nick Duca (Canadian Orienteering National Team member) came little bit behind after his mistake at CP (A). So, we left CP#1 on 16th place and 6 min behind a leader. In the next 20min, we caught back all teams except leading team.

Map#2: Nick missed info about CP#2, which was moved from original place to exchange maps point; plus, it took some time to relocate too (we had only one map, so I could not lead). We got passed by another team, and we were third at that time. But after CP (A), Nick picked up the pace and we started to move faster. We got lucky to pass the railway just before the train, so we did not lose time on waiting.

Map#3A:
This part of the course was really hilly, rocky and slippery. We had to cross the river several times and the water there was really cold. My muscles felt exhausted from that climbing; so, I got my power gel. The only good news was that we dropped a minute to a leader (we did not know that both teams were running together).

Map#3B:
That map was flat. It was perfect timing because I got tired of climbing, and I was really happy to use my long legs on those trails. Really fast, we got team2 and tried to leave them behind, but lost ~1min on CP#11 (I still believe it was in a wrong re-entrant). We finally got team2 on CP#12A and ran away on a different route choice to CP#13. We did not stop on CP #13, which was food/water station, with only one reason- to lose team2 from our tail. It was funny to see Nick and Nikolay running non-stop through that station full of all people, when I could not find/see CP flag to punch it. We did lose the tail thanks to rough vegetation to CP (C), where I broke my brand new Adidas pants. Running to CP#14, I thought that this race is over, but in the same second I saw leading team1 on the top of the hill. I got really motivated; I ran that hill like I did not race for 2 hours before. I saw team1 crossing the road, so it was only a minute difference. We got the team1 on the Map#4.

Map#4:
I got really tired and exhausted when we got to map4. I wanted to take it easy for few CPs and then run away in a way back to map3B. But Nick’s experience told him not to give any chances to other team. He punched CP#15 and started to run to Cp#16 so fast that I barely keep up with him. On CP#16, we could not see team1, so we took time to recharge/rest. I realized that I broke my compass, but still wanted to lead in my pace. We did ok on CP17 and 18, but I got frustrated close to CP#19, where were a huge path, which was not marked on the map. I did a small extra loop, and team1 caught us back. In our way to CP#20, Nick and Nikolay ran forward and I got behind, when I got caught by Robbie Anderson, who passed me and started to slow me down. I got really “pissed off,” so I got my second push and ran like crazy for whole way back to map3B (that trail between maps is ~3km). My team got the best split there with around 3 min lead.

Map#3B (Finish):
On the way from Cp#21 to our last matrix Cp (A), we saw team1 coming down to CP. I knew that it was around 3 min lead already. It was funny to see my teammates stopped on CP#22 for food and water, for short talk to volunteers and other teams. I was happy to see them so relaxed after 3.5 hours of a tough chase. We jogged down to finish (even though I checked our back few times- just to make sure). So, our team “Foreigners” won with little under 5 min lead - 3.44.28. According to GPS, we ran 30k; there are only two teams, who ran it under 4 hours. It was a great experience and good lesson from Nick – NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Results: http://dontgetlost.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81&Itemid=93

No comments:

Post a Comment